Selections from the Upanishads

He knew that Brahman is bliss. For truly, beings here are born from bliss. When born, they live by bliss. And into bliss when departing, they enter.

-- Taittiriya Upanishad 3.6.1

The face of truth is covered with a golden disc. Unveil it, O Pushan, so that I, who love the truth, may see it.
O Pushan, the sole seer, O Controller, O Sun, off-spring of Prajapati, spread forth your rays & gather up your radiant light that I may behold you of loveliest form. Whosoever is that person (yonder) that also am I.

-- Isha Upanishad 15-16

I have overcome the whole world. I am brilliant like the Sun.
He who knows this, knows the secret wisdom.

-- Taittiriya Upanishad 3.10.5

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Two jewels, & clarifications

I forgot to add two works which I think could be included in the category of greatest works of art: "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse, and a not-so-well-known play called "The Miracle Worker" by William Gibson.

I also forgot to clarify that I've not read "Notes from the House of the Dead" & "Les Pauvres Gens". (Have read the other novels of Dostoevsky & Victor Hugo.)

I emphatically state that Tolstoy's views are not completely & totally my views: I agree with him to a great extent, not 100%

"The Miracle Worker" is a play based on the life of Helen Keller, and it's theme is the struggle of trying to open up the consciousness of a human being to the world of WORDS - and hence, of thoughts, of concepts, of ideas. People might understand ME , or my views, better, if they understand what I mean by saying that THIS - the struggle of Anne Sullivan to pour in the light of words into the blank, dark mind of Helen Keller living in a state of sheer bestiality - the birth of a conceptual consciousness - is perhaps the most beautiful example of a Christian literary work.

No comments: